Stowe is known for its natural beauty. It’s no surprise hiking is one of the most popular summertime activities in the area with stunning views of the Vermont landscape. Stowe has a variety of easy, moderate and expert trail options for all ages and abilities. The trail system is well maintained with clear paths and trail blazes.
- Mt. Mansfield: Vermont’s highest peak at 4,393′ is situated on the Long Trail, a 265-mile trail system running throughout Vermont, which crosses Mt. Mansfield and Spruce Peak in Stowe. Two trail-heads are located in Smugglers’ Notch.
- Stowe Pinnacle: A moderate hike with views of the Green Mountains (including Mt. Mansfield) as well as the Sterling and Worcester ranges.
- Short, scenic hikes: Explore the wilderness on gentle trails in Kirchner Woods and Wiessner Woods, or take a leisurely walk to Sunset Rock for a view of Mt. Mansfield.
- Waterfalls, pools and basins: Take a leisurely walk to popular Swimming Holes.
- Guided hikes: Get a unique perspective of Stowe through a local trail guide. Customized guided hikes are available through Pinnacle Ski & Sports.
The Green Mountain Club, located on Route 100 between Waterbury and Stowe, is an excellent resource for questions about hiking. Stop by the Stowe Visitor Information Center to purchase hiking guides or for more information about hikes in the area.